SetCurrentLayer.rvb: alias "q"
DefaultLayer.rvb: alias "d" - used for steps 5 and 6
So pick your object, run the script, and choose the following:
1. Set current layer to the object's layer*
2. Select all objects on that layer
3. Hide all objects on that layer
4. Isolate all objects on that layer
5. Turn that layer off
6. Lock that layer
7. Do nothing, other than peek at which layer that object belonged to*.
*change the "Current Layer Background" to a bright color to really see that layer pop. Find it at Options --> RhinoOptions > Appearance > Colors > LayerDialogBox.
Rhino has most of these commands (SetLayertoObject, OneLayerOn, OneLayerOff, SelLayer), but typing/ clicking through them is way too much work.
photos coming soon...